Wednesday, December 26, 2007

moving fast now...

Things are starting to move very fast now. I met with Franck at about 9am today, and we discussed the trip plan. He was really helpful, as was Helene, who works at the Kew house and came in to check on me today.
Franck and I went to the Cortez expeditions office and picked up our tickets. I fly to Diego tomorrow at 7am, which means I have to be at the airport at 5am. The taxi has been arranged, and now I just need to pack my things...again. I am staying at the Hotel Panorama it seems pretty nice, and they are giving me a deal on the room because I wanted to stay at one of their other hotels, but it was closed for the holiday. Franck doesn't arrive in Diego until the 2nd, so until then I will be working alone in the easily accessible forest on the slopes of Montagne Des Francais (French Mountain). It's named for the allied French forces that fought the Nazi affiliated Vichy French for control of Madagascar (then a French Colony) during WWII. Really, I'll just be hiking around in the forest and hoping to find some Coffee trees, but they are hard to find, and it is entirely possible that I will not be able to find them (but damn if I'm not going to try).
Ok, when I get to Diego, I have no idea how much internet access I will have (probably none), so this might be my last post for a while. I will try to get a phone card or something at the airport so that I can make some international calls, but I can't be sure that will happen either. If you don't hear from me, please do not worry, I will get in contact when I can. Ok, that's all for now, hope everyone is doing well.

No comments: